Monday, March 19, 2012

Frankincense


I had read an article somewhere that Frankincense was good for cleansing negative energies among other things, so I bought some cone incense and started burning it before going to bed at night. I have finally gotten a decent night’s sleep for the past week or two without waking up in the middle of the night. So I began to research further on this wonderful herb. 

First off, Frankincense is a resin, which is harvested from the Boswellia tree by cutting horizontally into the bark, thus allowing the resin to “bleed” to the surface then allowed to harden before harvesting, which usually takes about two weeks. The trees will only grow in the most inhospitable of environments, even growing out of the cracks of rocks. 

Scientists are now discovering that there are benefits to utilizing Frankincense. It seems that breathing the aroma of the incense helps reduce anxiety and depression, and they are studying the benefits of using it as a cure for cancer.

As I stated before, I have been using it to aid in my sleeping, but, it is also useful in eliminating negativity and can be used for protection or consecrations. 

I was disturbed over the fact that the trees must be cut into in order to gather the resin. Because there seems to be quite a demand of it, the trees are beginning to suffer. The trees are slow growing, thus, the trees are dying out faster than they can be replaced by the new. I will just have to go to my other favorite scent, Lavender.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the trees. It seems like there should be another way, but think of Maple trees where they actually have spouts driven into them. I wonder if the people who harvest from both types of trees ever think of the trees and thank them for what they produce.

    ReplyDelete